Sunday, August 16, 2009

Croatians and Italians





My neighborhood is pretty much half Croatian and half Italian, and no other weekend exemplifies that point more than this one. See Aug 15th is a big Croatian holiday, and every year I make the pilgrimage back to Chicago to celebrate with my family. My house is ground zero for my extended family because it's situated along the parade route. Mom puts out an amazing spread of food, and for the next 5 days I eat like a king! The following day is the St Rocco parade, (picture the parade scene in Godfather 2 where Vito shoots Don Fanucci). Unfortunately this year the skies opened up just as the statue of Saint Rocco was right in front of my house, (you can see the guys protecting the statue in the last photo). It really poured! I offered my friend Dino, (who hopped out of the parade route to come over and say hi to my mom and I), safety in my house, but he made a run for the Italian cookie store on the corner where everyone else ducked for cover and no doubt enjoyed a few biscotties in the process (they are amazing!). (I love my niece Lauren's face in that third photo, she was none too pleased to have to wait for the parade to get here) p.s. My friend Frankie said I was slacking in my journal posts, so Frank, this one's for you and Frank Sr. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Arlene said...

Wow...I had no idea you were so kid friendly!
a